What an 8-Year-Old Taught Me About Calling, Community and Caring for Others

Orange Leaders | 10/13/2017 | Orange Leaders
trainman (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://orangeblogs.org/orangeleaders/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/10/CAM11425_Cam2-cropped.jpg

When I meet Audrey Mae, she is super cute with a glittery little top hat barrette, dark straight hair and is Filipina.

She is unbelievably cute, isn’t she? Audrey Mae lives in the city Payatas, on the island of Luzon, in the Philippines. The Philippines is comprised of 7,641 islands but only approximately 2,000 have people living on them. Audrey Mae lives with her grandmother, little brother, mom and dad (who are teenagers). Her house is small with a tin roof and dirt floors. She is dressed in her school uniform and appears to be pristine. Just looking at her, you would never know that she lives in abject poverty.

Girl - Core - Thinking - Kidmin

What I learned from this little girl shook me to the core and this is how she impacted my thinking about Kidmin.

Calling is the core of who we are. Working for Compassion International, I knew that children, no matter where they live (in poverty or in plenty), are one of the most vulnerable groups of people. Each child needs to feel loved, known, and protected. Children in poverty are especially susceptible because it has a lingering affect on the soul of a child. Poverty whispers to a young, impressionable mind: You are worthless, you will never become anything good, and there is no hope.

Audrey - Mae - Dump - Smell - Stench

Audrey Mae literally lives beside a trash dump and the smell is enough to make you nauseated. She doesn’t seem to even notice the stench or the trash around; but sometimes she hears the whispers in her mind and heart that she is trash. Thankfully, she knows this is a lie. Her local church and Compassion project workers remind her on a daily basis that she is a child of the most High God. She has worth because He uniquely created her and He has a special plan for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Orange Leaders
16 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Why do democrats never have to face the reality of what's on the ground, like 2000 years of marriage.