The Boy Scouts Of America Has Lost Its Way

The Daily Caller | 4/12/2014 | Staff
shardonay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/boyscouts.jpg

The Boy Scouts of America has trekked out into the wilderness and lost its way. On Wednesday, the Boy Scouts announced that it will open Cub Scouting to all-girl dens and will explore a path to Eagle Scout for girls. The move undermines the mission statement of the Boy Scouts, does a disservice to the young men in the organization, and creates purposeless competition with the Girl Scouts.

The Boy Scouts is an organization dedicated to cultivating young boys into men of character and leadership. Baden Powell founded the scouting movement in the early 1900’s and recognized the significance of developing young people civic-minded with a broad skillset suitable between polite society and the wild woods. From its inception, scouting drew membership from boys and girls, but even from its infancy, held separate programs for boys and girls. While other parts of the world have blended Girl and Boy Scouts into the same program, the American program has always held separate programs to suit different needs.

Boys - Benefit - Organization - Eagle - Scout

Boys benefit from the organization serving exclusively boys. I am an Eagle Scout. I was a Cub Scout, attended summer camp, earned a number of merit badges, and finished my scouting career at the beautiful Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. It was pursuing the Citizenship in the Community merit badge that I found my calling to be a lawyer. It was through late night conversations around the campfire in the mountains of Georgia that I learned from our adult leaders about how to be a man of character and conviction, a father, even about being a good husband in how they spoke of their wives; these conversations might not have happened in mixed company.

What every boy has and gains as his birthright in scouting is something that all boys have felt at one point or...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: