Boy, 14, is left paralysed and fighting for life after being hit in the head with football in kickabout with friends

Mail Online | 10/12/2017 | Iain Burns For Mailonline
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/11/17/453C5F8A00000578-0-image-a-2_1507739821101.jpg

A teenager was left paralysed on one side of his body after being hit in the head with a football during a kickabout with friends.

Owen Mathieson, 14, experienced a swelling above his right eye and suffered from severe headaches in the days following the freak accident in July.

Mum - Maria - Experience - Son

His mum Maria said it was a 'traumatic' experience as she worried her son could even die.

After the ball hit Owen's head, he had a high temperature and an acute sensitivity to light - but doctors initially said he had suffered a concussion and said his headaches would fade in a week.

Painkillers - Home - Wick - Scotland - Caithness

He was given painkillers and sent home to Wick in northern Scotland from Caithness General Hospital the next morning.

But his concerned mother, 42, was forced to take him back the same night after her son's symptoms worsened.

Maria - Years - 'They - CT - Blood

Maria, an early years practitioner, explained: 'They did a CT scan and took blood tests and realised that it was something more severe. He had a small bleed [between his skull and brain] and the bleed got infected. It was a scary thing.

'If we had left it he could have ended up with severe disabilities. If we had left him to suffer another week he might not be here today.

Doctor - Risk - Operation - Pain - Family

'The doctor said there was a risk he could die in the operation. It was very scary seeing him in so much pain. It was traumatic for all the family.'

Owen was airlifted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for further tests and MRI scans before being taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh.

Point - Speech - Paralysis - Side

It was at this point he started to lose his speech and suffered from paralysis on his right side.

Maria said she was told her son could die from an emergency operation that was needed to wash out an infection that was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
15 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.