World-renowned climber sees his girlfriend, 23, die in an avalanche - then kills himself in a fit of grief because he was unable to save her

Mail Online | 10/11/2017 | Chris Pleasance for MailOnline;Associated Press
HelloimMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/11/11/453979C800000578-0-image-a-13_1507716467975.jpg

A world-famous climber who was caught up in an avalanche with his girlfriend killed himself after he was unable to save her, his parents have said.

Hayden Kennedy, 27, was skiing alongside 23-year-old partner Inge Perkins in Montana on Saturday when the pair triggered an avalanche, leaving him partially buried and her fully submerged in now.

Kennedy - Inge - Vain - Rescue - Attempts

Kennedy searched for Inge in vain, but was forced to abandon his rescue attempts and hike six miles to get help.

Rescuers eventually found Inge's body underneath the snow the following day. Kennedy took his own life as they were preparing to pull her remains free.

Father - Michael - Kennedy - Climber - News

Father Michael Kennedy, himself a seasoned climber, broke the news on Facebook.

'Hayden survived the avalanche but not the unbearable loss of his partner in life,' Michael wrote. 'He chose to end his life. Myself and his mother Julie sorrowfully respect his decision.'

Son - 'an - Soul - Accomplishments - Mountaineer

They described their son as 'an uncensored soul whose accomplishments as a mountaineer were always secondary to his deep friendships and mindfulness.'

The avalanche happened on Imp Peak, in the southern Madison Range, in a steep, narrow gulley about 10,000ft (3,048m) above sea level.

Perkins - Mountain - Climber - Slide

Perkins, also an accomplished mountain climber, was buried by the 150ft-wide (46m-wide) slide.

The area had received a foot (0.3m) of snow since Oct. 1, which was on top of about 4ft (1.2m) of dense snow that had fallen over the previous two weeks, according to the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center.

Kennedy - Bozeman - Home - Sunday - Search

Kennedy, who had recently moved to Bozeman, was found dead in his home Sunday as search teams prepared to recover Perkins' body.

Kennedy, who grew up in Carbondale, Colorado, had been working...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
18 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!