Blind grandmother, 58, died after pharmacy delivery man 'accidentally gave her the MORPHINE intended for neighbour with similar name'

Mail Online | 10/11/2017 | Lara Keay For Mailonline
darktm22darktm22 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/10/21/453469D200000578-0-image-a-63_1507666943515.jpg

A blind grandmother died after a pharmacy delivery man mistakenly gave her morphine intended for a neighbour with almost the same name, an inquest heard.

Christina Ann Fletcher, 58, took an overdose of the drug after it was accidentally given to her and not Ann Fletcher, an Alzheimer's patient - four doors down the road.

Mix-up - Women - Patients - Pharmacy

The fatal mix-up happened because both women were patients at the same pharmacy.

The delivery driver did not ask Christina Fletcher to confirm her name and address or sign for her prescription and gave her the 'top sheet of the delivery book to save her the trouble'.

Condition

She suffered from a hereditary condition that left her virtually blind.

Her body was found by police officers after friends and family struggled to get in contact with her on August 12 last year.

Day - Heard - Christina - Fletcher - Nurse

The first day of her inquest heard that Christina Fletcher, a former nurse, was also being treated for epilepsy, depression and anxiety, among other things.

She was taking various prescription drugs, including anti-epileptic treatment pregabalin.

Delivery - Home - King - Street - Heywood

The fatal delivery arrived at her home in King Street, Heywood, in Greater Manchester eight days before she died.

Staff at the chemist in Manchester Road, Heywood, only realised their mistake over a week later on August 12, when Ann Fletcher's daughter rang to say her mother had not received her medication.

Inquest - Heywood - Tuesday - Christina - Fletcher

An inquest in Heywood on Tuesday heard that Christina Fletcher, a former nurse, was also being treated for a number of other illnesses including epilepsy, depression and anxiety and was taking various prescription drugs, including anti-epileptic treatment pregabalin.

But, eight days before her death, morphine intended for her neighbour Ann Fletcher, who suffers from Alzheimer's disease, was wrongly delivered to her by the Internet Pharmacy, based on Manchester Road, Heywood.

Staff - Chemist - Mistake - Week - Ann

Staff at the chemist only realised their mistake more than a week later, when Ann Fletcher's daughter...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
27 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...
Sign In or Register to comment.