Ryan Coogler Speaks Out About ‘Fruitvale’ Distributor Harvey Weinstein: ‘Rape is a Human Rights Violation’

IndieWire | 10/10/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/shutterstock_5528219m.jpg?w=780

When Ryan Coogler brought his first feature “Fruitvale Station” to the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, it was Harvey Weinstein who bought and distributed the breakout film. The success of “Fruitvale” helped kickstart the director’s career, which continued with “Creed” and next summer’s “Black Panther” in just five years since Weinstein released the film.

Coogler has now addressed the multiple accusations being made by several women who say they have been sexually harassed or assaulted by Weinstein.

News - Women - Person - Purchase - Feature

“I am disturbed and saddened at the news that several women have been victimized by a person I had come to know through the purchase of my first feature film,” said Coogler in statement sent to IndieWire. “While I had no further business dealings with Harvey Weinstein, and no knowledge of this predatory behavior, my career did benefit from this brief involvement. Because of that, I feel a responsibility to speak up on this issue.”

In his statement, Coogler moved past Weinstein to address the larger problem of how women are treated in the film industry and why he feels it is so important to hire female crew on every production.

Storyteller - Coogler - Industry - Times - Space

“I love working as a storyteller,” said Coogler. “But I work in an industry that too many times has proven to not be a safe space for women. I make it a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!