NAACP: Jerry Jones' anthem comments are 'tone-deaf,' violate Cowboys' constitutional rights

SportsDay | 10/8/2017 | SportsDayDFW.com
catcrazy24 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://sportsdaydfw.imgix.net/1507661263-NS_08cowboyspackersLD30.jpg?w=1200&h=630&format=jpg&crop=faces&fit=crop

"I want them [the players] to have the ammunition to tell anybody that asks them to do anything otherwise or demonstrate during that period of time, that 'I don't get to play if I do that,'" Jones said. "This is a workplace issue. I don't want there to be any misunderstanding as to where I want the personnel of the Cowboys to be when we're at the No. 1 workplace we have, which is the field and the sideline on gameday. I want to do everybody a service, as I should in leading the team, and let's be really clear about what our expectations are."

The NAACP's senior director of corporate affairs said Jones not only is being insensitive toward his players, but also he's violating their constitutional rights.

Jerry - Jones - Comments - Tone-deaf - Commitment

"Jerry Jones' comments are more than tone-deaf, more than misinformed and misguided - they are a public commitment by an NFL owner to violate his players' Constitutional right to free speech - one of the principles on which our nation was founded," said Tony Covington, the NAACP's Senior Director of Corporate Affairs at the NAACP. "They are proof that athletes like Colin Kaepernick who have quietly and peacefully used their platform to protest violence against communities of color do so at their own peril."

Covington spent five seasons in the NFL in the 1990s, including four as a safety...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SportsDay
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It is time to put away the our toys and propaganda we've been taught as children and think for ourselves.