'Special relationship' was seen as a joke by US diplomats, claims former Presidential adviser: Aide also admits slipping Malvinas references into press conferences in bid to 'spoil it'

Mail Online | 10/10/2017 | Eleanor Hayward;Jack Doyle for the Daily Mail
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/10/00/452D8C8500000578-0-image-a-2_1507590884110.jpg

Barack Obama and his aides regarded the idea of a special relationship between Britain and the US as a joke, it was claimed last night.

Jeremy Shapiro, a former presidential adviser, said the special relationship was ‘unrequited’ and he revealed he would insert references to ‘the Malvinas’ – Argentina’s name for the Falklands – into Press conferences.

Mr - Shapiro - US - Officials - Importance

Mr Shapiro said that although US officials stressed the importance of the relationship to British visitors, they would make jokes about the Falklands away from the cameras.

He added that the so-called special relationship with Britain ‘was never really something that was very important to the United States’.

Cheltenham - Literature - Festival - Mr - Shapiro

Speaking at the Cheltenham Literature Festival, Mr Shapiro said: ‘From my perspective it was very important for us to mention the special relationship in every Press conference that we had when the UK were here.

Mr Shapiro, who was an adviser in the US state department under Mr Obama, and now works at the European Council on Foreign Relations, said America did not see its relationship with Britain as any different from that with other European countries.

Survey - EU - Countries - Relationship - America

Referring to a 2009 survey that revealed 14 out of 25 EU countries believed they had a special relationship with America, he said the relationship with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
21 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!