Review: Why wait for iPhone X? iPhone 8 has most of the features for hundreds less

phys.org | 10/9/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/2017/59db9095183a0.jpg

As expected, Apple announced this year's updated iPhones on September 12, but the iPhone X gathered most of the headlines.

The iPhone X is Apple's latest salvo in the flagship phone wars with Google and Samsung.

Plenty - IPhone - X - Hands - November

I'll have plenty to say about the iPhone X when I actually get my hands on one in November.

Apple also introduced the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, built on the familiar iPhone design that started with the iPhone 6. Indeed, until the iPhone X was announced, Apple had not significantly changed the iPhone design in three years.

IPhone - IPhone - X - Apple - Stuck

I was not surprised at all to see the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus introduced alongside the iPhone X, but I can't help but wonder why Apple stuck with the old design for one more year.

Actually this was supposed to be an 'S' year, as Apple has traditionally followed a new iPhone with an S model the following year. This is the first non-S year since the iPhone 3.

Not that I'm complaining.

Usually when I review a phone, it's sent by the manufacturer or a PR agency or from a wireless carrier, but in this case I'm reviewing the iPhone 8 Plus I purchased on release day.

People - Reviews - IPhone - User - Phone

People who read my reviews know I'm an iPhone user, but I also pay for my own phone, so I can't justify a new phone every year. The iPhone 8 Plus is replacing my trusty iPhone 6S, which was handed down to my wife.

Decisions ... decisions ...

Phone

I thought long and hard about which phone to buy.

Apple introduced the iPhone 8 and then made it obsolete about half an hour later.

Gadget - Reviewer - IPhone - X - Price

The gadget reviewer in me wanted to have the latest and greatest, but the iPhone X starts at $999, and that's a price threshold I'm not ready to cross. Plus I'm not yet ready to give...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: