Recovering Awe And Wonder In the Festive Season

Godspacelight | 11/8/2014 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://i1.wp.com/www.godspacelight.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Joy-to-the-world.001.jpeg?fit=1024%2C768

A new way to absorb puppy food

A post shared by Christine Sine (@christine.sine) on

Here is an even better one

Puppy blessing at church today

Really enjoying having my nephew Matt and his wife Kass with us from Australia

Finally got the last of my succulents inside

Still a lot of beauty in the garden

A beautiful sunrise to greet the morning

Harvesting grapes on Camano Island. Abundance overflowing in so many different ways

I am already thinking about Christmas and what I want to accomplish during the upcoming festive season. It may seem a little early, but as we head into what for most of us is the busiest time of the year we need to be ready. Halloween, All Saints Day, Thanksgiving, Advent and Christmas are almost here. What is meant to be an exciting celebration of the awe and wonder of Christ’s coming in human form to dwell amongst us, has instead become a season of overwork, exhaustion, and burn out. Added to that this year is the burden of our heavy hearts reacting to the devastation in Puerto Rico from hurricane Maria, the shooting in Las Vegas, earthquakes in Mexico and so many other disasters around the world. We might be getting ready to sing Joy to the world, but our spirits are far from joyful and even at the best of times it is hard for us to enter into the awe and wonder of the seasons.

Unfortunately, as I have mentioned before, research also suggests that we are awe deprived. We spend more time working and commuting and less time in nature, involved in art and music or with other people, the main situations that invoke awe and wonder. How do we prepare and enable our families and congregations to really celebrate with awe and wonder the coming of Christ and the impact he has on our world?

Reasons - Theme - Joy - World - Reflections

Partly for these reasons, I have chosen the theme Joy to the World for my reflections this year and invite you to join me. In the next couple of weeks I intend to put together a weekly plan for the season, a garden to help me center, and a series of questions to help me focus. I am starting with the question:...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Godspacelight
77 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: