Steve Bannon, Unleashed

The American Prospect | 10/6/2017 | Staff
JimmyJoe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://prospect.org/sites/default/files/styles/thumbnail/public/ap_17269098404642_0.jpg?itok=mtJ-UHu8

Is Steve Bannon more dangerous outside the White House than in? And dangerous to whom?

As long as he was in the White House, no matter how much Bannon’s freelancing annoyed President Trump and senior staffers, he was part of the Trump machinery and subject to a modicum of discipline. Now, Bannon is out.

Machine - Trump - Right - Right - Republican

He’s organizing an electoral machine to Trump’s right, and certainly to the right of the Republican Senate leadership—and he hopes to bring that leadership down. For Bannon, the victory in the Alabama Senate primary of former Judge Roy Moore over Mitch McConnell’s favorite, incumbent Luther Strange, was just the beginning.

Speaking after Moore defeated Strange, Bannon declared, “This is a populist nationalist conservative revolt. It’s a revolt against the elites in this country. It’s a revolt against the globalists among those elites.”

Interview - Bannon - Mid-August - White - House

Having written up an interview with Bannon in mid-August that helped push him out of the White House, I began thinking that maybe Bannon was happier out than in. A journalist friend confirmed that hunch. So I asked Bannon for a second interview. He was pleased to oblige.

I made a date to come to the Breitbart townhouse, where we spoke for an hour on Thursday afternoon. This time, Bannon was careful to put the conversation on background, but he gave me permission to convey the essence of his views.

Bannon - Conversation - Belief - Allies - Issue

Bannon's first conversation with me was animated by his belief that he and I might be allies on the issue of economic nationalism. He continues to look for left-right common ground.

Bannon’s current obsession is to blow up Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Republican Senate incumbents whom he regards as hostile to his brand of nationalism. Bannon believes that if Republicans will just embrace populist economic nationalism, they can become a workers’ party and the majority party for decades to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The American Prospect
35 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: