EXCLUSIVE: 'He's NOT a psychopath!' Jigsaw's Tobin Bell defends murderous John Kramer and teases how he features in new Saw film... as he hints at a future for the rebooted franchise

Mail Online | 10/4/2017 | Andrew Bullock For Mailonline
DebraS (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/04/16/4509460A00000578-0-image-a-61_1507129488655.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/07/24/9126510754157053343/1024x576_MP4_9126510754157053343.mp4

He's terrified cinema audiences in their droves as the lead antagonist in the $873 million grossing Saw franchise.

And after a seven year hiatus since the supposed final film in the series [Saw 3D, 2010], actor Tobin Bell is back as the murderous game-player John Kramer in the eighth movie, named after his killer Pseudonym Jigsaw.

Return - Saw - Bell - Ways - John

Speaking exclusively to MailOnline about the return of Saw, Bell, 75, stated boldly that, for all his dastardly ways, he doesn't consider John a psychopath.

'Here is a guy who is part-philosopher/part-theologian,' the iconic actor explained, attending Thorpe Park's horrifyingly thrilling attraction, the Saw Maze. 'I don't class him as a psychopath. Anyway, that's not my job, that's the audience's job.

'I - Actors

'I have to understand where he's coming from and stand behind him. That's what actors do.

'I learnt as a young actor that you always stand on the character's side no matter what. The events of the film will show what he does. My job is how does he do it, why does he do it?

Bell - Universal - Studios - Film - Eyegore

Bell, who in 2009 was awarded Universal Studios’ Film Eyegore Award for his role as Jigsaw, doesn't dismiss his character - nor the Saw films in general - as meaningless horror fodder.

His approach to playing John Kramer is as methodical as any worth-his-salt actor.

Sponge - John - Try - Soak - Bit

'It's like a sponge, being John,' he explained. 'I try and soak every single bit of juice out of the script. I try and bring a sense of character and relationship and motivation to what John's doing.

'I play him in a way that people can connect to him. I just do the best I can to elevate his character and make him accessible even for a moment. If you can connect with a character even for a moment in a film it makes a huge difference. I talk to fans...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!