Cowboys Sources: Plan For ‘Unity’ During Tonight’s Anthem

dfw.cbslocal.com | 9/25/2017 | Staff
tanikaki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cbsdallas.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/american-flag-11222012.jpg?w=520

PHOENIX (105.3 THE FAN) – There is no easy answer. But In the wake of President Donald Trump calling for the firing of NFL players who opt for peaceful protest during the National Anthem, the Dallas Cowboys are at work crafting a singular answer.

I’ve spoken to seven Cowboys leaders on the subject in the last 48 hours and come away with a handful of conclusions that the Cowboys – from owner Jerry Jones and his family to the players in the locker room – find important.

Individuals - President

Those offended include some individuals who may have supported, and still support, the president.

*There are certainly those who have sided with Colin Kaepernick from the start, in his efforts meant to bring attention to institutionalized mistreatment of people of color.

Time - Cowboys - Leadership - Council - Players

*At the same time, the Cowboys Leadership Council, made up of about 14 players, has long taken the position that “unity’’ and “positivity’’ are the themes that bond the football team … and themes that can bond beyond.

*The Leadership Council has engaged with the Jones family and its members, and now the rest of the locker room, are aware of Jerry’s views here, views he stated clearly on Aug. 22 on 105.3 The Fan with “Shan & RJ’’:

Act - Flag - Salute - Country - People

“I just feel so strongly that the act of recognizing the flag is a salute to our country and all of the people that have sacrificed so that we can have the liberties we have,” Jones said. “I feel very strongly that everyone should save that moment for the recognition of the flag in a positive way, so I like the way the Cowboys do it.”

*That in no way should be construed as Jones having “ordered’’ his players to stand, or having issued an “or-else’’ edict. (Worth noting: I don’t dismiss the idea of a player interpreting the combined...
(Excerpt) Read more at: dfw.cbslocal.com
37 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!