How to Work With Difficult People

Orange Leaders | 9/14/2017 | Daron Dickens
maye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://orangeblogs.org/orangeleaders/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/09/iStock-610125706-cropped.jpg

There are a lot of things about being a leader that I love.

I love getting to experience people’s stories.

Alongside - People

I love coming alongside of people and helping them grow.

If I’m real honest, I love being able to walk through the “Authorized Personnel Only” door.

Days - Nights

I even love the long days and late nights.

However, being a leader isn’t all potlucks, door access, and being in charge. There are a lot of things I hate. For example, I hate paperwork, I hate paperwork, and did I mention . . . I hate paperwork. On the top of my hate list is working with difficult people. I think it’s on most leader’s lists. So . . . many don’t. They ignore, pass off, avoid, and/or placate. That may be a lot more comfortable, but it’s definitely not healthy. So, in the spirit of healthy leadership here are a few tips in dealing with the difficult people.

Leaders - Flow - People - Gifts - Gifts

I think as leaders we all learn how to handle the flow: Encouraging people to find their gifts and use those gifts toward a mission. With some, there is a higher amount of encouraging needed. Still others have a very difficult time realizing their gifts. Further still there are those who need extra coaxing because they let fear or anxiety drive the boat. That often takes a little bit of a Jedi Mind-Trick (JMT). However, when dealing with difficult people it’s easy to use an extra helping of JMT to handle them rather than connect with them on a personal level. Many times, it’s a lot easier to put them in non-impact areas or keep them busy rather than really digging in and helping them find their gifts. Everyone has gifts. Everyone has something they can do well. The only way to truly unlock their potential is to connect with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Orange Leaders
12 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: