The Church Community at Its Worst—and Its Best

The Aquila Report | 9/14/2017 | Staff
Coraav (Posted by) Level 3
For example, as reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, a University of Pennsylvania professor studied 11 churches and one synagogue and concluded that the average economic worth of each to its Philadelphia neighborhood was over $4 million a year. Even more so, the non-financial benefits are priceless, as I was reminded during a recent weekend.

Churches are havens and shelters for needy humans. They contain no perfect specimens. Nevertheless, they are held to high standards and are embarrassed when their building doors are locked during a local crisis. Yet their mission goes on, and we would be most miserable without strong churches. For example, as reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, a University of Pennsylvania professor studied 11 churches and one synagogue and concluded that the average economic worth of each to its Philadelphia neighborhood was over $4 million a year. Even more so, the non-financial benefits are priceless, as I was reminded during a recent weekend.

Email - Family - Members - Church - Denomination

We had received an email from a young family, members of a church in our denomination, 150 miles away, asking for our help in their move to our town. They told us they expected to arrive on Saturday, and asked if we could provide some muscle power to help them unload their truck. Although it was a busy summer weekend, and many families in our small church were out of town, I was able to assemble a sizable work team. In fact, some of our people telephoned me and said they were busy, but they would rearrange their schedule if I needed their help. I was able to assure them that we were already fully staffed.

That same Saturday afternoon my wife and I received a telephone call from some friends, an elderly couple, several hundred miles away. They needed a caretaker during a medical crisis. The couple...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!