Excerpt from a conference Card. Caffarra was slated to give

Fr. Z's Blog | 9/13/2017 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/carlo_card_caffarra-200x300.jpg

On the morning of 12 May 1897, Newman received the official communication that Pope Leo XIII had created him a Cardinal, having received the proposal from many English lay people, in primis the Duke of Norfolk. Newman expressed his gratitude to the Holy Father with a brief discourse, which has passed into history as the “Biglietto Speech”.

The text is of extraordinary importance in order both to grasp wholly Newman’s spiritual journey, as well as to grasp his thought. I wanted that this marvelous text should conclude my reflection.

Account - Life

Giving an account of his life, he wrote:

For thirty, forty, fifty years I have resisted to the best of my powers the spirit of liberalism in religion. … Liberalism in religion is the doctrine that there is no positive truth in religion, but that one creed is as good as another, and this is the teaching which is gaining substance and force daily. It is inconsistent with any recognition of any religion, as true. It teaches that all are to be tolerated, for all are matters of opinion. … Men may...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Fr. Z's Blog
9 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!