It's not just children! Forgetting where you've parked your car could mean you have ADHD

Mail Online | 9/12/2017 | Lucy Benyon For The Daily Mail
Caris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/09/11/23/4427165B00000578-0-image-a-12_1505170661612.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/1418450360/2015/06/1418450360_4272888734001_4272859558001.mp4

Most of us make silly mistakes from time to time and are able to laugh them off. That’s what I used to do when I accidentally left the bath overflowing or mislaid my purse for the umpteenth time.

But when I left my debit card and £50 in the cashpoint machine some years back, I didn’t see the funny side. Nor was I laughing when I forgot to turn on the cooker and served a stone-cold casserole.

Car - Minutes - Hours - Days - Forecourt

When I ‘misplaced’ my car, not for a few minutes or hours but for several days, completely forgetting I’d left it on the forecourt of the petrol station up the road, I realised enough was enough.

With a career and two children now aged eight and ten, to care for, I had to get help.

Years - Form - Attention - Deficit - Disorder

And that is how, two years ago, aged 43, I found out I have a form of attention deficit disorder known as ADHD Predominately Inattentive Type, or ADD.

Rather than experiencing the hyperactivity often associated with ADHD, for me, the chief issue is distractibility. I confess the news was not a shock.

Attention - Disorders - Symptoms - GP - NHS

Having read about attention disorders, I’d found many of the symptoms familiar and mentioned this to my GP. He referred me to an NHS psychiatrist who, after taking down my personal history and reading answers to questionnaires from my mother and husband, Vince, confirmed my hunch.

It is a common misconception. According to the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) between 2-4 per cent of adults in the UK have ADHD in one form or another, although some experts think the true figure may be far higher.

Symptoms - People - Others - Struggle - Attention

The symptoms vary: some people are hyperactive and impulsive; others, like me, struggle with paying attention, are forgetful, easily distracted and regularly lose things.

Our brains find it hard to focus on one thing at a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: