#TheDeclaration: Speaking the Truth with Love, Without Apology

Red Letter Christians | 9/11/2017 | Lisa Sharon Harper
Zorra (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/TheDeclaration.png

It shouldn’t have worked, but it did.

Rev. Trey Lyon, watched a Facebook Live feed from friends present at the Charlottesville Mass Prayer Service on the night before the planned counter march to the white nationalist rally in Emancipation Park. He watched as white supremacists, white nationalists, and Nazis carrying torches surrounded the church where his friends and leaders he respected sang and prepared their hearts to face down fear and hate the next morning.

Night - Lyon - Question - Night - Barmen

That night Lyon couldn’t sleep as the question haunted him throughout the night: Is this a Barmen moment? The next day, he watched the clergy action and the subsequent mayhem and murder unfold as evil was unleashed on the quaint streets of Charlottesville. He called together his church staff and they agreed. This is a Barmen moment.

I’ve been a part of many sign-on letters and statement campaigns. Usually the drafting goal is to keep it as short as possible to get as many people to sign on as possible.

Note - John - Heinz - Adjunct - Professor

So when I received the note from John Heinz (Adjunct Professor at Asbury Seminary, UMC minister, and collaborator on #TheDeclaration) inviting me to log into a Google doc to offer input on a declaration inspired by the Charlottesville action that I had participated in days earlier, I was intrigued. Patterned after the 1934 Barmen Declaration, which was drafted by Reformed theologian Karl Barth and Lutheran theologian Hans Asmussen, #TheDeclaration stated that Christians could not support the rising of contemporary Nazi power and anti-Semitism.

But unlike the Barmen process, whose drafters met in a single room in Barmen, Germany, during the rise of Hitler, this document’s drafting room was a Google doc.

Anyone - Link - Edit - Comments - Questions

Anyone with the link could log in and edit at will or place comments and questions in the margins. When I logged on, about 10 anonymous people were editing the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Is it real news?? or MSM news??