On 9/11, people remember how actor Steve Buscemi helped search for survivors as a New York firefighter

Business Insider | 9/12/2001 | Roisin O'Connor, The Independent
erinmmarion (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/59b6a184609c3064468b5887-1190-625/on-911-people-remember-how-actor-steve-buscemi-helped-search-for-survivors-as-a-new-york-firefighter.jpg

Sixteen years ago, on 11 September 2001, Hollywood actor Steve Buscemi — known for his depictions of gangsters and weirdos, once described by The Guardian as a "strangely attractive shoelace" — returned to his job as a New York firefighter.

He worked 12 hour shifts for several days alongside other firefighters, searching for survivors in the rubble from the World Trade Center.

Buscemi - FDNY - Service - Test - FDNY

Buscemi had taken the FDNY civil service test when he was 18, and used to work as a FDNY firefighter in downtown Manhattan in the 1980's.

He later left the service to become an actor, but has remained engaged in New York firefighters causes, having spoken at union rallies and hosted the HBO documentary A Good Job: Stories of the FDNY.

Time - Efforts - Rescue - Privilege - Firehouse

At the time, he said of his efforts during the rescue: "It was a privilege to be able to do it. It was great to connect with the firehouse I used to work with and with some of the guys I worked alongside. And it was enormously helpful for me because while I was working, I didn't really think about it as much, feel it as much."

In 2013, the Brotherhood of Fire Facebook page reminded people of his selfless act of courage, writing beneath a picture of Buscemi.

Man - Name - Lots - People - Actor

"Do you recognise this man? Do you know his name? Lots of people know he's an actor, and that his name is Steve Buscemi. What very few people realise is that he was once one...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
25 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into"--Jonathan Swift