McCain: 'We Have Got to Spend More Money on Defense'

CNS News | 9/11/2017 | Staff
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/capture-mccainsept10.jpg

(CNSNews.com) - John McCain was one of 17 Senate Republicans to vote against a hurricane relief bill that included a short-term debt-limit extension as well as a continuing resolution to keep the government funded at current levels for the next three months.

McCain said the deal struck by Democrats and President Trump last week is "devastating" to national defense because it freezes defense funding at last year's level, "which is a cut of $52 billion."

Money - Defense - McCain - CNN - State

"We have got to spend more money on defense," McCain told CNN's "State of the Union" with Jake Tapper on Sunday.

He noted that President Trump campaigned on a promise to rebuild the military:

Service - Members - Lives - Actions - Years

We've had 185 service members have lost their lives in noncombat actions over the last three years. We've lost -- only 44 were killed in combat. And that's because our leadership, military and others, have told us that our military capabilities and readiness is declining.

You know, not often that I like to make -- to give quotes but I think that it's important to recognize that the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff said that if we continue on this road, we've lost our advantage over our potential adversaries, not to mention putting the lives of these brave men and women at risk because we're not giving them the training, the equipment and the capabilities they need.

Agreement

That's unconscionable. And this agreement basically freezes...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
17 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep
Tagged: