Game Journalists Defend Being Bad At Games

The Daily Caller | 9/8/2017 | Staff
Zorra (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/cuphead.jpg

It’s not too much to ask for a professional to be competent at his or her job. Game journalists, for example, are expected to be familiar with the medium and have a modicum of skill in playing them.

Just as sports journalists don’t have to be professional athletes, game journalists don’t have to be esports champions. Such expectations are unreasonable, and the only ones making that claim are game journalists upset that one of their own was made fun of by yours truly earlier this week.

Tweet - Impressions - Snippet - VentureBeat - Contributor

In my tweet that has since gone viral with over 2 million impressions, I highlighted a snippet of VentureBeat gaming contributor Dean Takahashi’s painful playthrough of an upcoming video game called Cuphead. The game’s wonderful, 1930s inspired art was marred by Takahashi’s performance. He made the game look harder than it was, and even struggled for over two minutes with the brief tutorial.

Unable to read the on-screen instructions, Takahashi spent over a minute trying to perform a basic maneuver that, as I highlighted in another tweet, was easy enough that even a four-year-old could figure it out after just a few seconds of watching.

Preview - Event - Game - Developers - Takahashi

During the preview event, the game’s developers told Takahashi that they didn’t think their game was “difficult.” It was merely “challenging.” Takahashi disagreed, stating that he “quickly put the lie to that terminology.” It’s worth noting that the game journalist even misattributed Cuphead’s creators to another popular video game made by an entirely different team. Facts are not his forte.

Riffing on the “game journalists are bad at video games” stereotype, I asked: “How do they think they’re qualified to write bout games?”

Thousands - People - Tweet - Nothing - Disgust

Thousands of people who responded to my tweet expressed nothing but disgust and disdain at the professional game journalist’s inability to grasp the game’s basic functions. “I have to assume that this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
12 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Is it real news?? or MSM news??