Western Digital has cloudified the NAS and shoved it in a trendy box

www.theregister.co.uk | 8/31/2017 | Staff
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/08/31/wdc_my_cloud_home_950.jpg?x=1200&y=794

+Comment WDC has released a home NAS that syncs with devices for storing, streaming and sharing wherever there's an internet connection.

It comes in a single-disk version called the My Cloud Home or a dual-disk version called My Cloud Home Duo, which uses a RAID 1 scheme to copy data from one disk to another for safer keeping.

Product - Ethernet - Broadband - Wi-Fi - Router

The product is Ethernet cabled to a broadband Wi-Fi router and becomes a sync target for data on smartphones and tablets, notebooks and PCs, social media accounts (Box, Dropbox, Google Drive and Facebook) and USB sticks. Data is automatically uploaded to the product from these sync sources. The box can be a target for Apple's Time Machine or Windows Backup too.

It's managed via a My Cloud Home app on an iOS or Android mobile device which can be used to search, stream and share content. There is a My Cloud Home desktop app for the same. Individual home users can have separate accounts on the box for their private data.

Video - Content - Media - Players - Plex

Video content can be streamed to TVs or smart media players via a third-party Plex app.

WDC says the average US household has 4l.5TB of data spread across 14 digital devices, and this is only going to grow. The My Cloud Home box can centralise this, protect it, and make it widely available to the people with whom you wish to share it.

Box

The box uses one or two...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: