Texas Bans Insurance Companies From Covering General Abortions

The Daily Caller | 8/15/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Screen-Shot-2017-08-15-at-3.52.12-PM-e1502826827268.png

Texas passed a law on Tuesday ensuring that no taxpayers in the state will have to pay for general abortions any longer.

House Bill 214 — signed into law by Republican Gov. Greg Abbot — means that pro-life Texans will not be forced to pay for women who want to have abortions. Insurance companies will, however, still cover emergency abortions, which the bill defines as those cases in which the mother’s life is in danger. The new law will not cover abortions in cases of rape, incest, or fetal abnormalities, according to the Texas Tribune.

Bill - Insurance - Providers - Texas - Policyholders

“This bill prohibits insurance providers from forcing Texas policyholders to subsidize elective abortions. I am grateful to the Texas legislature for getting this bill to my desk, and working to protect innocent life this special session,” Abbot said, according to the Texas Tribune. (Related: Texas House Approves Bill To Block Insurance Companies From Covering Abortion).

“As a firm believer in Texas values I am proud to sign legislation that ensures no Texan is ever required to pay for a procedure that ends the life of an unborn child,” reads the governor’s office statement. It requires women to pay an insurance premium if they want their health plan to cover non-emergency abortions. Women wanting their insurance providers to cover abortion costs will therefore have to consciously decide to pay extra for a service which was previously included in Texas healthcare packages.

Law - People - Coverage - Services - Heather

The new law “will impact people who have coverage and will now be denied services,” said Heather Busby, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Texas according to US News. “Regardless of how big that number is, people who have health coverage should be able to get the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
46 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.