Charlottesville mayor defends police response to deadly protests

Washington Examiner | 8/13/2017 | Todd Shepherd
finter (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://cdn.washingtonexaminer.biz/cache/1060x600-a31de6087b9440e749cfde46194325bd.jpg

Charlottesville Mayor Michael Signer defended the police and their response to protests by white nationalists and subsequently by counter-protesters that turned deadly and violent on Saturday.

John Dickerson, host of CBS' Face the Nation, pointed out to Signer a Washington Post story said the police efforts, "at first seemed an anemic response from authorities."

Signer

"You know, I think that's — that's totally mistaken," Signer said.

"We had the single largest assembly of law enforcement officers since 9/11, almost a thousand law enforcement personnel."

Nationalist - Protesters - Counter-protesters - Accusations - Police

Both the white nationalist protesters and those from the counter-protesters have made accusations the police should have done more to stay between the two groups.

Lt. Joseph Hatter, a commander with the Charlottesville Police Department, is quoted by numerous media outlets as stating officers tried to create separate areas for protesters and counter-protesters to "reduce the violence."

Hatter - Plan

"It didn't work, did it?" Hatter said. "I think there was a plan to have them separated. They didn't want to be separated."

Signer, a Democrat, noted the event location was changed, which kept law enforcement changing their plans in the lead-up to the protests.

City - Manager - Decision - Monday

"We even went as far as, our city manager made a decision on the Monday before...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Washington Examiner
151 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I find it extremely funny when people keep voting and expecting the government to change!