Border Bishop . . . Blasts Pro-Life Officials For Opposing Amnesty

The Wanderer Newspaper | 8/12/2017 | Staff
leeann77 (Posted by) Level 3

On July 3, Bishop Mark Seitz of El Paso, Texas, published a nationally distributed op-ed blasting nine state attorneys general and one governor for insisting that U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions enforce U.S. immigration law.

The officials, led by Attorney General Ken Paxton of Texas, had addressed specifically DACA, the “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” policy announced by the Obama administration on June 15, 2012, which gave some 1.1 million “Dreamers” — aliens who entered the U.S. illegally when they were 16 or younger — the opportunity to avoid deportation under certain circumstances.

Letter - Officials - DACA - Eligibility - Work

In their letter, the officials observed that “DACA unilaterally confers eligibility for work authorization and lawful presence without any statutory authorization from Congress.”

In other words, Obama could not persuade Congress to pass legislation authorizing his policy, so he instituted it by fiat.

Defense - DACA - Bishop - Seitz - Letter

In defense of DACA, Bishop Seitz was strident. “When I hear their [the letter’s signers’] legalistic insistence upon every letter of our broken immigration law being carried out to this cruel degree, I can hear Jesus’ indignant response: ‘Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites’,” he wrote.

Bishop Seitz’s tirade was admittedly emotional. “When I read that he and the other attorneys general had come out with that statement, it really made me angry,” he later told USA Today.

Fact - Bishop - Seitz - Letter - Signatory

In fact, it is not clear at all whether Bishop Seitz actually read the letter he criticized. He does not appear to notice that one signatory was not an attorney general, but a governor, Butch Otter of Idaho, who is a pro-life Catholic.

The bishop’s angry attack on Gov, Otter and his colleagues invites a relevant and significant question: If the bishop condemns elected officials who disagree with him on immigration, how does he treat officials who advocate abortion rights?

Wanderer - Cong - Beto - O'Rourke - Texas'16th

The Wanderer spoke with Cong. Beto O’Rourke, who represents Texas’16th Congressional District,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Wanderer Newspaper
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!