Show Us Your Faces

Irreverin | 8/12/2017 | Staff
Firefang (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/irreverin/files/2017/08/article-charlottesville-4-0811-e1502551612610.jpg

Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/irreverin/files/2017/08/article-charlottesville-4-0811-590x250.jpg

They tried to stop it, you know.

Local business owners. City officials. The University. Thinking people. Compassionate people. Decent humans and citizens.

Grotesque - Display - Racism - Middle - Town

They all tried to stop, or at least re-locate, the grotesque display of hatred and racism from marching through the middle of their beloved town. But ultimately, a judge ruled that the group was within its First Amendment rights in staging this “Unite the Right” gathering wherever they wanted to.

I have mixed feelings about that. For my money, the lines around ‘rights’ are blurry when it comes to hate. Hate boldly expressed; hate that can quickly escalate to violence; hate that, historically, has bred violence and violence and more violence. Black bodies on the ground, black bodies hanging from trees, black mothers weeping, again, for their children… When you get right down to it, the constitutional ‘right’ to demonstrate enthusiasm for that world does not subvert the basic human rights of those who feel threatened by such displays. Nor does it negate the ‘inalienable’ truth that all people are created equal. Nor should the free speech activity of one person or group hold hostage the rest of us, who want to live peaceably with our neighbors. You know, free of the burning, shouting, chanting, ranting that goes down in the name of freedom.

Images - Night - Preparation - Today - Gathering

But. All that being said– I look at those images of those who gathered and marched last night, in preparation of today’s gathering. I see their white faces, distorted with rage. I hear them chanting “you will not replace us;” shouting “blood and soil, blood and soil…” Which was the rallying cry of the Third Reich, in the horrific landscape of Hitler’s Germany. And yes, I’m appalled. I’m disgusted. I’m deeply worried about what comes next.

But I am also glad that I can see their faces.

Something

It says something...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Irreverin
21 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Satan's greatest desire is to convince the world he doesn't exist, and he has quite nearly succeeded.