THE ‘MAIN THING’

Youth Specialties | 8/12/2017 | Staff
tiana_101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://youthspecialties.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/YS-Blog_750x300_main-thing.jpg

Youth ministry is a fairly vast field that includes a wide number of skill sets, mission fields, opportunities and challenges. Serving in a field so open to God’s calling can be a blessing, but it can also throw us for a loop if we aren’t careful. As ministry leaders, we have to be constantly re-evaluating ourselves to ensure that what we are doing is in-line with the needs of our youth, the priorities of our organization, and (most importantly) our calling. When we learn to not feel pressured to expand into activities, events and focus areas that are not really aligned with our ministry’s calling, it may be surprising how God works it all together as a part of His plan.

Growing up, my father used to always encourage me to “keep the ‘main thing’ the ‘main thing’.” He was trying to make sure that his sons were always aware of not only what they were doing, but why they were doing it. This is a proverb from a North Carolinian businessman that has found relevance time and time again both in my role as a ministry leader and in day-to-day life.

Ministry - Thing - Thing - Lesson - Time

Depending on what your particular ministry is set up to do, your ‘main thing’ may be different from my ‘main thing’. This is a lesson that has taken me a long time to learn. (I blame my tendencies as an engineer to over-simplify everything.) Someone who is leading a youth ministry aimed at underprivileged youths is focused on fundamentally and theologically different things than someone leading a more discipleship-driven ministry. Some ministries are large and resourced enough to go after multiple disciplines in multiple mission fields. Mazel Tov. Regardless of what our ministry is set up to do, it’s important to avoid the temptation to be the ‘everything’ ministry that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Youth Specialties
94 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Vote for gridlock, it's our only hope!
Tagged: