Oakwood Alum Offers Positivity in Ferguson Photography Exhibit and More News Shorts

spectrummagazine.org | 7/9/2015 | Staff
Zorra (Posted by) Level 4
Oakwood Alum Offers "Positivity" in Ferguson Photography Exhibit. Adventist, Oakwood University alum, and photographer Henry Chaney is featured in the Ferguson, Missouri, Good Shepherd Gallery art show "Change the Narrative." His photos focus on what he calls "the positivity" in the Ferguson unrest of three years ago. Peaceful protests and positive interactions between protesters and police run counter to the stories in the national media. "Everything negative," said Chaney. "If no one changes the narrative, that's what everybody's going to think. The first thing I saw out there was the community coming together as one and showing support for (Brown's) family," he said. "People had signs, were voicing their concerns, giving out water. I saw a lot of positivity right from the get-go. I hadn't seen a community come together like that. . . . I saw a lot of love and compassion." Chaney has been exploring photography since college and pursuing it professionally for about seven years, in addition to his day job. He prefers journalistic/editorial photography because it shows people as they are, candid in their natural environments. "People being themselves . . . is more beautiful anyway," he said. Chaney's faith tradition played a role in his positive viewpoint. He belongs to Northside Seventh-day Adventist Church in Jennings. His previous art show at Good Shepherd captured the beauty of God's creation, the focus of Pope Francis in "Laudato Si'." "God is in everything," Chaney said. "You have to look at it with a different lens. You have to have that love. . . . That's where it comes from — God. From the St. Louis Review, “Photographer uses positive lens.”

Australian Adventist Honored for Charity in Tonga and New Guinea. Adventist Christian Dennis Perry received the Australian Rotary Foundation’s highest honor, the Paul Harris Fellow Award, for his...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Is it real news?? or MSM news??