Lee Daniels Insists He Never Saw STAR as Part of Empire

TVGuide.com | 8/8/2017 | Tim Surette
Click For Photo: http://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2017/08/08/e93c7778-d095-4deb-86a1-944a1492777b/thumbnail/1300x569/cd2b1891c6b726c4c3168cf5cf377bc4/170807-star-hplg.jpg

STAR sets out on its second season this fall, but it still lives in the shadow of Empire, Fox's other music-business drama that was partly responsible for creating STAR.

The series stars newcomers Jude Demorest, Brittany O'Grady and Ryan Destiny as a girl group trio trying to make it in the music business in Atlanta, and not as an established music empire like the Lyons of Empire. But let's face it: if Empire hadn't been the runaway success it was, the network wouldn't push for another drama about musicians trying to make it despite difficult backgrounds. That's just the TV business.

Shows - Premieres - STAR - Queen - Latifah

The two shows are even crossing over in their respective upcoming premieres, with STAR's Queen Latifah guesting on Empire and Empire's Jussie Smollett dropping by STAR. But Lee Daniels, creator of both shows, didn't originally see the two as part of the same universe, let alone participating in a crossover.

"It wasn't the intent initially [to plan a crossover] because they were two separate shows," Daniels told reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. "Fox suggested it, and I thought, 'Why?' Because I never saw [STAR] as part of Empire, it was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
7 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.