Prostate operation that's done via your WRIST can cut threat of incontinence: How less invasive procedure reduces the organ's size by blocking arteries

Mail Online | 8/8/2017 | Oona Mashta For The Daily Mail
JimmyJoe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/08/01/430E156D00000578-0-image-a-107_1502153305752.jpg

Treatment for an enlarged prostate can involve major surgery. Keith Painter, 56, an aerospace engineer from Gloucestershire, underwent a new, less invasive procedure, as he tells OONA MASHTA .

About eight years ago, I started needing the loo frequently at night. I put up with it at first, but it gradually got worse — at one point I needed to go five or six times a night.

GP - Alcohol - Caffeine - Bladder - Difference

My GP told me to avoid alcohol and caffeine as these irritate the bladder, but this didn’t make a great difference and my symptoms continued to worsen.

By last year, I was getting up for the loo in the night so often it left me feeling tired during the day.

GP - Prostate - Urologist - Weeks - Tests

My GP suspected I had an enlarged prostate so referred me to a urologist. A few weeks later, I underwent various tests, including one where a machine measures the speed of your urine flow.

Sure enough, all the tests confirmed I had an enlarged prostate. It was pressing on my urethra, blocking the flow of urine and preventing the bladder from emptying properly — which was why I needed the loo so often.

Drugs - Months - Night

I was prescribed two drugs to shrink it, but while these worked initially, after about 18 months they were no longer effective and I was back to getting up frequently at night.

When I saw the urologist again he told me I needed an operation called transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), where part of the prostate is removed with a hot wire.

Risk - Damage - Alternative

It sounded invasive and there was a risk I’d be left impotent and incontinent due to nerve damage, but there seemed to be no alternative.

But then earlier this year, while I was waiting for an op appointment, my friend told me he had been treated with a far less invasive procedure called prostate artery embolisation...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
51 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!