Ice hotel plus midnight sun makes for a very cool combo: Sleeping at the Swedish resort with frozen rooms in the middle of SUMMER

Mail Online | 8/5/2017 | Jeremy Head For The Mail On Sunday
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/05/16/42FCF0DD00000578-0-image-a-24_1501946179179.jpg

I spent last night in a fridge with two mermaids. I hoped we’d all get on, but they were cold as ice.

It wasn’t the best night’s sleep I’ve had, but it was certainly one of the coolest things I’ve done.

Sweden - Icehotel - Jukkasjärvi - Winter - Hotel

Sweden’s Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi is world-famous. Every winter they build a hotel from ice and snow filled with shimmering sculptures of ethereal creatures.

Located 150 miles above the Arctic Circle, winters in Jukkasjärvi are long, dark and exceptionally cold. But in late spring it warms up and the hotel slowly melts back into the river.

Night - Icehotel - Room - Place - Mid-summer

At least it used to. My night in an Icehotel room took place in mid-summer.

They still build a new ice hotel each winter, but those clever Swedes have also added permanent ice suites and an ice bar.

Bit - Icehotel - Ice - Room - Sunlight

They call this bit Icehotel 365. It’s just opened. Now you can sleep in an ice room, while outside there’s sunlight all night.

This being Sweden, it’s high-tech and environmentally friendly. I wandered around a chilly warehouse stacked with vast blocks of ice: 2,700 tons of it.

Spring - Winter - Hotel - Warehouse - Icehotel

They harvest it in spring when it’s at its hardest and store it to build next winter’s hotel. The warehouse and Icehotel 365 are kept at -5C by solar energy, powered by...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.