Chasing Contentment by Erik Reymond, Free for CAPC Members

Christ and Pop Culture | 10/26/2017 | Nate Claiborne
Click For Photo: https://christandpopculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/ReymondChasing.jpg

Erik Reymond’s Chasing Contentment: Trusting God in a Discontented Age is graciously available free to Christ and Pop Culture members until October 26, 2017, through our partnership with Crossway.

Philippians 4:13 may be one of the most ubiquitous Bible verses in our culture. No doubt this has something to do with Tim Tebow’s eye black. Even without his influence though, it is oft quoted in Christian circles.

Fond - Order - Paul - Things - Christ

I am fond of pointing out that in order to understand when Paul says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” it is in the context of talking about contentment. While this makes the verse more understandable, it unearths a tricky subject, because contentment isn’t really a buzz word. It isn’t something trendy that generates click-baity articles in the Christian blogosphere. And yet, it’s something we are all more or less chasing, whether we realize it or not.

While Reymond focuses more on the accumulation of things, the principles transfer to how we interact with culture in general.

Erik - Raymond - Book - Chasing - Contentment

Because of that, we would do well to let Erik Raymond’s book Chasing Contentment: Trusting God in a Discontented Age guide us along the way. Early on, Reymond notes that the topic of contentment is found with more regularity among Puritan writers (14). As a result, his book draws heavily on two authors (Jeremiah Burroughs and Thomas Watson) who wrote key books on the subject. Reymond’s work translates these older works into a more accessible modern take on contentment.

With this definition in mind, the real question is whether or not this something we can attain. The second half of the book focuses...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Christ and Pop Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!