The Power of Brutally Honest Self-Evaluation

Brandon A. Cox | 7/19/2017 | Brandon
Click For Photo: https://brandonacox.com/wp-content/uploads/Mirror.jpeg

I don’t always like the truth. That doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with truth. It means there’s something deficient in me.

What I do like… is comfort. I like to feel like things are okay. And there’s at least a 70% chance you’re like me in this way.

Ancient - Israelites - God - Amos - Situation

The ancient Israelites were like that, too. God sent Amos to stir them up and alert them to the dire situation they were in. He cracked through their obliviousness with this warning:

What sorrow awaits you who lounge in luxury in Jerusalem, and you who feel secure in Samaria.

King - James - Ease - Zion…

The King James reads, “Woe to you who are at ease in Zion…”

You push away every thought of coming disaster, but your actions only bring the day of judgment closer.

Shortcomings… - Consequences

Ignore our shortcomings… hasten the consequences of them.

I’ve often been guilty of this on multiple levels.

Level - Celebration - Successes - Distraction - Progress

On a personal level, I often want to focus on how far I’ve come by looking back in celebration. Celebrating past successes is certainly okay, unless we use it as a distraction from the progress we need to make and the path that lies ahead.

On a professional level, it’s far too easy to look around and find competitors or colleagues that I can match skills and expertise against and begin to feel that I can coast if I’m at least above average.

Level - Team - Disservice - Accomplishments - Pieces

On an organizational level, I often do my team a disservice by focusing on our accomplishments while ignoring the pieces and pockets of our work that really need revitalization.

What we typically do is wait for the crisis to come. When the crash occurs, that’s when we acknowledge that we’ve been content where we should have been concerned.

Self-evaluation - Crisis - Point - Ourselves

A brutal, self-evaluation can be quite powerful, especially when we do it before the crisis point comes. Essentially, when we procrastinate about being honest with ourselves,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Brandon A. Cox
Wake Up To Breaking News!