READING THE QUR’AN AS A FEMINIST (AND A LAPSED MUSLIM)

Wear Your Voice | 7/16/2017 | Staff
blockstyle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wearyourvoicemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/quran-feminism-islam-religion-wyv.jpg

Being a feminist and a Muslim is something that is totally possible—you just have to use common sense and empathy.

First of all, I want to be totally upfront. I was born and raised Muslim by liberal parents and stopped practicing the religion in my early twenties. I was also born and raised a feminist by the same parents and have only become more fanatical about my feminism as I grow older. My mother is a practicing Muslim feminist woman from whom I have practically no secrets.

Years - Word - Qur'an - People - Muslim

That being said, up until about 15 years ago, I had never actually read a word of the Qur’an myself. Like many people who are raised Muslim, it was told to me and I blindly trusted the word of my elders. After all, Islam is all about blind faith, or so they tell you. It was my ****-disturbing father who liked to question religion who inspired me to question the religion with which I was raised; so in high school, I decided to find a new religion to follow—one that wasn’t as oppressive to women.

But my research revealed to me that Islam was that religion. When I finally read the Qur’an for myself for the first time, I was surprised to learn that what I had been told wasn’t at all how I interpreted what I read. Sure there were problematic parts—mainly the fact that daughters were to receive a lesser inheritance than sons—but it wasn’t as suffocating as I had been raised to believe.

Twenties - Disrespectful - Muslim - Convenient - Tenets

I decided to try it out, but by my early twenties, I decided that it was disrespectful of me to only be Muslim when convenient. One of the main tenets of religion is dedication to it and paying lip service seemed so offensive to me. So I lapsed. But, I continued...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Wear Your Voice
Wake Up To Breaking News!