It’s About Time: Joy as ‘Doctor Who’ Casts a Woman as Lead (Column)

Variety | 7/16/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/doctor-who.png?w=1000&h=562&crop=1

Oh, thank goodness: Hooray for the casting of Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor on “Doctor Who.”

The last thing I wanted to write today was an angry screed about “Doctor Who.” I’ve been watching the show loyally for four decades; I’ve been through every up and down and alien invasion. No matter how much it may frustrate me in a given episode or a season, I love it so much. It’s about people without guns who roam around trying to do good and save people. With a screwdriver. At its best, “Doctor Who” irreverent, whip-smart and deeply humane.

Thirteenth - Doctor - Man

So I was going to be disappointed and not a little furious if the Thirteenth Doctor was yet another white man.

For more than 50 years, every Doctor has been from that demographic, and of course, some versatile actors have done wonderful work in the role. I’d have a tough time picking my favorite: Is it Tom Baker? Peter Davison? David Tennant? Peter Capaldi? Matt Smith? Jon Pertwee?

Fact - Time - Lot - People - State

The fact is, we’re living in a time in which a lot of people feel frustrated and fearful about the state of the world. Women, people of color and the LGBT community feel especially under siege. The daily headlines are like something out of a “Doctor Who” (or “Black Mirror”) dystopia.

So if women were once again going to be asked to go to the back of the line and wait their turn when it came to the idea of seeing themselves as one of the iconic interstellar heroes — well, many people would have been upset. Even some white guys.

One - Disappointment - Thank - Gallifrey - Media

But no one had to wake up to that disappointment, thank Gallifrey. Coming from one of the biggest media franchises on the planet, the news that the new “Doctor Who” is female is huge — and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!