‘Life is messy’: Judd Apatow on Freaks and Geeks, Lena Dunham and his return to standup

the Guardian | 7/8/2017 | Jonathan Bernstein

Judd Apatow’s office looks a lot like a workspace that might be inhabited by a slovenly, immature character from one of his movies or TV shows. It’s cluttered with boxes, toys, records, scripts, magazines, sports memorabilia and various items of pop-culture detritus.

“I’m in the middle of moving stuff,” mutters the 49-year-old, somewhat defensively. However, the rest of the four-storey West Los Angeles building that houses Apatow’s production company is testament to a decade of sustained success that changed the face of American movie comedy. At the start of this century, US moviegoing audiences were offered the choices of romantic comedies, raucous, gross-out comedies, intimate, improvisational indie comedies and heartwarming family comedies. In 2005, Judd Apatow co-wrote and directed The 40-Year-Old Virgin, a film that managed to encompass all these variant forms of comedy under one roof and make a star out of long-time supporting player Steve Carrell.

Posters - Films - Judd - Apatow - Walls

Posters of the films and shows Judd Apatow subsequently wrote, produced or directed, hang around the walls of his company. From Knocked Up to Superbad, Bridesmaids to Trainwreck, Pineapple Express to This Is 40, Girls to Love, Apatow has made sometimes surreal, sometimes emotional, sometimes meandering, always profane comedies his particular brand, and he has constantly taken a chance on the actors and comedians who star in them. Take The Big Sick, the rapturously reviewed film of the period in Kumail Nanjiani’s life when the woman to whom he was too scared to commit to (Emily V Gordon) fell ill and was placed in a medically induced coma. There are producers who may have agreed to allow Nanjiani to write his story. Few would have had the foresight to allow Nanjiani to star.

Watch the trailer for The Big Sick.

Amy - Schumer - Radio

“I contacted Amy Schumer because I heard her on the radio and I thought all of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care