Vermont farmer is sentenced to 10 years in prison for shooting dead his daughter's 'abusive' boyfriend and burying his body under manure pile

Mail Online | 5/14/2014 | Snejana Farberov For Dailymail.com
just-mejust-me (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/28/20/41D8D4A500000578-0-image-a-60_1498677617183.jpg

A Vermont farmer has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for killing his daughter's boyfriend and burying his body beneath a manure pile.

Stephen Pelletier, 62, learned his fate this week after pleading no contest last year to second-degree murder in a plea deal.

Prosecutors - Castleton - Man - Michael - Wisell

Prosecutors say the Castleton man shot 25-year-old Michael Wisell twice - in the back and head - on Pelletier's farm in May 2014.

When questioned by police, Pelletier told them Wisell had been physically abusive to his daughter and had turned her onto heroin.

Judge - Cortland - Corsones - Tuesday - Plea

Judge Cortland Corsones said Tuesday that he was initially considering rejecting the plea deal to send a message that people should not take the law into their own hands, reported Rutland Herald.

He noted that Pelletier never sought police assistance, even though he had a friend on the force, or tried to get a restraining order before murdering Wisell, who lived on the farm.

Court - Documents - May - Pelletier - Wisell

According to court documents, on May 14, 2014, Pelletier and Wisell were stacking wood when the farmer grabbed a borrowed .38-caliber gun and shot his daughter's boyfriend in the back.

He then flipped him over and shot him a second time in the forehead before slitting his throat, according to prosecutors.

Days - Friend - Wisell - Police - Pelletier

Four days later, a friend of Wisell's reported him missing, which led police to Pelletier's farm, reported the station WCAX.

A search...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!