Suspected jihadists attack resort outside Mali's capital

Washington Examiner | 6/18/2017 | Associated Press
Click For Photo: http://cdn.washingtonexaminer.biz/cache/1060x600-601b909d3397de83e2c1f3393a120ced.jpg

BAMAKO, Mali — Suspected jihadists launched an attack Sunday on a hotel resort in Mali's capital, taking hostages at a spot popular with foreigners on the weekends. The number of casualties was unclear in the assault, which continued through the afternoon, authorities said.

Gunfire rang out at the Campement Kangaba on the outskirts of Bamako, according to a security official with the United Nations mission known as MINUSMA. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to journalists.

Camp - People - Tourist - Site - Modibo

"I heard gunfire coming from the camp and I saw people running out of the tourist site," said Modibo Diarra, who lives nearby. "I learned that it was a terrorist attack."

Malian soldiers succeeded in entering the site, according to Commandant Modibo Traore, a spokesman for the Malian special forces in the former French colony.

Operation - Assailants

"The operation is ongoing and we estimate that there are between three and four assailants," he said.

The U.N. official said those at the resort when the attack began included people affiliated with the French military mission as well as the U.N.

President - Office - Defense - Minister - Office

The French president's office, the defense minister's office and the French military would not comment...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Washington Examiner
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!