‘The Carmichael Show’ plans 'shocking' episode that will controversially address both black literacy and the N-word

Mail Online | 5/24/2017 | Abigail Miller For Dailymail.com
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/24/21/40C1DCB100000578-0-image-a-101_1495657377611.jpg

'The Carmichael Show' is coming back for season three May 31 with episodes addressing controversial topics such as African American literacy and the N-word.

One episode in particular is titled 'Cynthia's birthday' and focuses on Loretta Devine's character's birthday party with her family, reported the Los Angeles Daily News.

Party - Sons - Jerrod - Jerrod - Carmichael

However, the party gets uncomfortable when one of the sons, Jerrod, played by Jerrod Carmichael, gives her a book as a gift. The book is a 'first-edition hard cover of the Jacqueline Kennedy biography'.

But, another son, Bobby, played by Lil Rel Howrey, says a book is a bad gift because 'black people don't read.'

Read - Episode - Devine - Themes - Idea

During a table read of the episode, Devine admitted the themes are provocative, and said this idea black people don't read upset her because, as she explained: 'I have always read, I love to read.'

David Alan Grier, though, who plays father-of-the-house Joe, said the episode is meant to make the audience think.

'It - Conversation - Conversation

'It's so much about conversation, difficult conversation....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!