‘The Carmichael Show’ stars say black literacy episode will leave fans ‘shocked’

www.dailynews.com | 5/1/2017 | Staff
catcrazy24 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.dailynews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/LA/20170523/NEWS/170529777/AR/0/AR-170529777.jpg?Maxh=1500&Maxw=1500

“The Carmichael Show” is set to tackle several hot topics when season 3 debuts on May 31, including African-American literacy and the N-word.

One upcoming episode of the NBC sitcom titled “Cynthia’s Birthday,” centers around family matriarch Cynthia Carmichael — played by Loretta Devine — as she marks a milestone. But the festivities go sideways when son Jerrod, played by series star Jerrod Carmichael, gives her a book, along with a Luther Vandross box set and candles.

Cynthia

“What is this?” a perplexed Cynthia asks.

“This is a first-edition hard cover of the Jacqueline Kennedy biography,” Jerrod tells her. But son Bobby, played by Lil Rel Howery, says a book is a terrible gift because “black people don’t read.”

Director - Jerry - Cohen - Show - Cast

Director Jerry Cohen and the show’s cast recently gathered at The Underground Museum in South Los Angeles for a table read of the episode and a round of interviews. Devine admitted the themes in “Cynthia’s Birthday” are provocative.

“I was a little upset about them saying black people don’t read, because I have always read. I love to read,” she said about the script written by Ari Katcher and co-creator/writer Jerrod Carmichael.

David - Alan - Grier - Patriarch - Joe

Still, David Alan Grier, who plays outspoken patriarch Joe, said the episode is meant to get people talking and make them think.

“It’s so much about conversation, difficult conversation. But also, it feels honest because those are the kinds of conversations I have when I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.dailynews.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It is time to put away the our toys and propaganda we've been taught as children and think for ourselves.