Will It Sous Vide? A Boozy Chocolate-Cherry Sundae

Skillet | 5/19/2017 | Staff
ashb0101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--EawHcxpH--/c_fill,fl_progressive,g_center,h_450,q_80,w_800/shqofnnjgmj5qdqfjncs.jpg

Welcome to this week’s edition of Will It Sous Vide?, the weekly column where I usually make whatever you want me to with my immersion circulator.

You may have noticed that I have not been asking you to pick sous-vide topics lately. This is not because I don’t value your input, but because I had a few subjects I wanted to tackle because they kept coming up again and again, yet never quite gained enough stars to be the chosen one. One of those topics was ice cream and, since it’s supposed to get hotter than the dickens within the week, I went ahead and pulled the icy trigger.

Ice - Cream - Something - Base - Eggs

You may not think of ice cream as something that needs to be cooked but, if you’re making a custard base with eggs, you gotta cook that base, and you have to do so carefully. This usually involves a lot of gentle heating and tempering, but sous vide allows us to do away with all of that.

I’m certainly not the first one to realize this. ChefSteps has a sous-vide-specific ice cream recipe, as does Anova, but I wanted to see if I could take a random ice cream recipe and prepare it using my immersion circulator. I also didn’t see a reason to stop at the ice cream, and decided to make a sous-vide sundae, complete with boozy cherries and a chocolate magic shell. First, let’s talk about those boozy cherries.

Cherry - Touch - Top - Mound - Ice

A sweet and syrupy cherry is always a nice touch on top of a glorious mound of ice cream, but a rum-soaked cherry is more my speed. As we learned from our sous-vide gin and pot experiments, an immersion circulator really speeds up the whole infusion process, and you can make your very own rum-drenched (or bourbon-drenched) cherries in just two hours.

To make...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Skillet
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!