Four Qualifications for Finding Contentment

The Aquila Report | 4/14/2017 | Staff
bethtetleybethtetley (Posted by) Level 4
Contentment does not suddenly descend upon us; it is learned. Can you recall the last time you learned something new? Usually, learning involves both study and observation, but at some point it requires application. If I learn to ride a bike, I may begin by reading about it in a book. I may also watch and observe someone else as they ride. But to truly learn how to ride a bike, I must actually sit upon the bike and attempt to ride it myself.

From our earliest years, we place a variety of personal qualifications on our contentment. If only we could possess that new toy, get into the right peer group, gain acceptance to a particular college, find job satisfaction, marry the person of our dreams, buy just the right home in just the right city, have children, experience lovely vacations, maintain our health, enjoy financial stability—then, and only then, can we expect to experience contentment.

Items - Time - Satisfaction - God - Gifts

If we can just have the items we long for at any time, then we expect to find satisfaction. It’s not too much to ask, is it? While God invites us to enjoy His gifts in a variety of ways, temporal items are unsatisfactory foundations for lasting joy and peace. Culture may view contentment as something we gain through relationships, wealth, power, and privilege, but the Bible sets forth very different qualifications for contentment. Biblical contentment unfolds from the Spirit’s work in a believer’s heart, mind, life, and hope. These four qualifications set an eternal foundation for unwavering contentment that holds steady through life’s seasons and storms.

The cornerstone of contentment is a heart that trusts the Lord. Jeremiah 17:7–8 confidently asserts:

Man - LORD - Trust - LORD - Tree

Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!