Mum-of-two left paralysed after her back snapped and 'folded in half' while lifting weights and doing squats at the gym

Mail Online | 4/10/2017 | Alexandra Thompson Health Reporter For Mailonline
elio25 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/04/10/08/3F20152A00000578-0-image-a-33_1491809817052.jpg

A firefighter and mother-of-two has been left paralysed from the waist down after she snapped her back in two while weightlifting at the gym.

Victoria Griffiths, 31, from Warrington, was lifting over 20 stone, double her body weight, when she wobbled and fell forwards, causing her body to jackknife.

Break - Bones - Back - Cord

She suffered a break in two of the bones in her back and seriously damaged her spinal cord.

Her injuries mean she is unable to move from the belly button down and doctors doubt she will ever walk again.

'I - Case - Wheelchair - Terms

She said: 'I know that the worst case is that I might be in a wheelchair and I'm not going to walk, but I have to come to terms with it as best I can.'

Victoria was at the gym for her daily spin class but, after her warm up, decided to work out in the main gym instead.

'I - Bit - Leg - Routine - Class

She said: 'I got there a bit early and started doing a leg routine. As it got to about 9.25am, when the class was about to begin, I decided I was into the routine and I would just stick with it.'

'I was doing step-ups on an aerobic step and I had a bar on the back of my neck, carrying 130kg, which is about 20 stone.

'I - Leg - Leg - Weight - Bar

'I stepped up with my right leg and left leg and got straight back down, but I wobbled and because of the weight of the bar, I fell forwards rather than backwards.

'It basically folded me in half. It's like leaning down and touching your toes and someone coming and shoving you that extra little bit further.'

Bar - Victoria - Neck - Head - Floor

The bar rolled down Victoria's neck and over her head, flinging her onto the floor, screaming in pain.

She said: 'The next thing I remember is another gym goer next to me telling me to stay still. I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!