Tarek El Moussa on His Post-Split Buff Bod: After My Cancer They Said I’d ‘Never Lift Weights Again’

PEOPLE.com | 3/31/2017 | Patrick Gomez
Click For Photo: http://i2.wp.com/peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/tarek-el-moussa1.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1315px,986.25px&resize=660,495&ssl=1

After battling thyroid and testicular cancer, Tarek El Moussa was told even just walking would be a challenge.

“I wasn’t clear to walk after my surgery,” the Flip or Flop star, 36, tells PEOPLE. “My doctor pretty much told me I’d never lift weights again. I was really screwed up.”

Something - Motivation - El - Moussa - Gym

But being told he couldn’t do something was actually all the motivation El Moussa needed to inspire him to get back into the gym. A few months after his surgery, he was referred to physical therapist Quintin Tucker.

“When he put me on his table on day one, I couldn’t walk,” says El Moussa. “But by the end of the week, he had me lifting weights. The therapy he did on me made it possible for me to work on getting myself back.”

Rebirth - Sorts

That meant a rebirth of sorts both physically and mentally.

“I want to do everything I can to stay healthy,” says El Moussa, who has admitted he was “miserable” as his weight fluctuated in the months after his surgeries and as he recovered from a debilitating back injury in 2014. “It just feels good to change your body and get in shape. It builds self confidence and just to understand you can accomplish goals.”

El - Moussa - Home - Base - Newport

Also motivating El Moussa is his new home base of Newport Beach, California, where he moved after his split from wife Christina last May.

“Just being down by the beach, there’s all these people walking and riding bikes and running,” he says. “It’s a workout environment so when you see those people being active you’re, like, ‘Man, I need to be active too!’ ”

El - Moussa - Tucker - Trainer - Times

El Moussa says he works out with Tucker, who has transitioned into being his trainer, four or five times a week. He focuses on weight training super sets with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!