Revealed: Skeleton of German WWII pilot dug up by Danish schoolboy is identified as 19-year-old soldier by his initials etched onto a watch found in the wreckage

Mail Online | 10/10/1944 | Harvey Day;Hannah Al-othman For Mailonline
roxy2707roxy2707 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/25/16/3E9FC2FA00000578-0-image-a-12_1490459508783.jpg

The skeleton of a German WWII pilot dug up by a Danish schoolboy has been identified as a 19-year-old soldier by a soldier's log book and the initials etched onto a watch found in the wreckage.

Pilot Hans Wunderlich, whose remains were found by 14-year-old Daniel Rom Kristiansen earlier this month, crashed over the Danish village of Birkelse in 1944.

Daniel - Messerschmitt - Plane - Pilot - Field

Daniel found the German Messerschmitt plane, and its pilot, after he searched the field of his family farm as part of a homework project.

His father Klaus Kristiansen jokingly suggested that Daniel search the field after he remembered a comment his grandfather had made about a plane crashing there in November 1944.

Information - Office - Deutsche - Dienststelle - Remains

German information office Deutsche Dienststelle was able to identify the remains using a soldier's log book and a hand-written name on the cover of a food coupon booklet, according to The Local.

A watch etched with the soldier's initials was also found at the scene.

Hans - Wunderlich - Neusorg - Town - State

Hans Wunderlich was born in Neusorg, a small town in the state of Bavaria, around 200km north of Munich, in 1925.

The crash happened on October 10 1944, according to German archives, which record a 'deadly crash in marshy terrain. Excavation work was postponed, since this was in vain.'

Pilot - Death - March - Holenbrunn - City

The pilot’s death was officially recorded on March 5, 1945, at Holenbrunn City Hall.

Daniel and his father decided to take a metal detector out and see what they could discover on their farm in Birkelse - but never really expected to find anything.

Danish - News - Station - DR - P4

He told Danish news station DR P4 Nordjylland: 'When my son Daniel was recently given homework about World War Two, I jokingly told him to go out and find the plane that is supposed to have crashed out in the field.'

When the machine started beeping over a patch of boggy ground the pair started digging - but realised...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!