The apple doesn't fall far: How Ned Kelly's convict mother Ellen was a 'notorious' violent criminal - long before her son became Australia's most infamous outlaw

Mail Online | 2/22/2017 | Chris Pleasance For Daily Mail Australia
just-me (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/22/05/3D82B1FB00000578-0-image-a-35_1487742609409.jpg

Her eldest son was possibly the most infamous criminal in Australian history.

But now it has been revealed that Ellen Kelly, mother to bushranger Ned, lived a life of criminality long before her sons ended up on to the wrong side of the law.

Woman - Husband - Brothers - Brothers-in-law - Convicts

Once branded 'a notoriously bad woman' - her husband, brothers and brothers-in-law were all convicts while she herself often ended up in court for violent outbursts.

Ultimately she would be jailed for attacking a policeman with a shovel while harbouring her fugitive son Dan - locked up in the same jail where Ned was later executed, just feet away from her cell.

Details - Biography - Mrs - Kelly - Life

The details have been revealed in biography Mrs Kelly: The astonishing life of Ned Kelly's mother, by author and journalist Grantlee Kieza and published by ABC books.

In the book, he details how Ellen was born in Ireland amid poverty and sectarian violence before shipping to Melbourne with her ten siblings and parents in 1841, aged just nine.

Time - Birthday - John - 'Red - Kelly

By the time of her 18th birthday, she had taken up with John 'Red' Kelly, who had been transported to Australia for theft in the same year she arrived.

Against her parents' wishes the pair married and went on to have seven children together before Red died in lock-up in 1865.

Kieza - Details - Children - Farmland - Brothers

Kieza details how she struggled to raise the children alone on inferior farmland, surrounded by her own criminal brothers and her husband's criminal relatives.

It was during this time that bushranger Harry...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!