The Long (And Dreary) Goodbye

The American Spectator | 1/12/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://39uhx2trii4zt1im-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Obama2.jpg

The great detective writer Raymond Chandler’s final Philip Marlowe novel is titled “The Long Goodbye.” Perhaps Chandler was looking forward to Barack Obama’s look-at-me-I’m-still-important address Tuesday night. It was a dirge that went on at No-Doz length.

Unfortunately, I missed the address in real time because I had a conflict. I had to flea-powder the cat. As for addresses, it was sufficient for me that Obama’s will soon no longer start with 1600. But I learned Wednesday morning that Obama established a new NCAA record for adios speech length, speaking longer than Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, and Bill Clinton combined as these former presidents headed toward the door marked exit. (Talking longer than Billy-Bob on anything is impressive in itself.) I abused time this morning reading the transcript of the speech.

Leftstream - Media - Performance - Anything - Everything

Predictably, most in the leftstream media were enchanted by the performance, as they’ve always been with anything and everything their philosopher king has said or done. “President Obama’s farewell speech was a remarkable pep talk on democracy,” a Washington Post headline declares, remarkably. “Obama’s faith in nation unshaken,” the reliably leftist Tampa Bay Times croons. And I’m sure standing O’s were heard in faculty lounges across the fruited plain. Hollywood wept.

But let’s get a grip here. The speech also set records for irrelevance, delusions, false trails (see George Neumayr’s fine catalogue of these), and vacuousness. But stats are not kept in these categories, though they should be.

Glibness - Deal - Time - Credit - Successes

His Glibness also spent a good deal of time taking credit for successes, most of which he had to make up. The Daily Caller reports that in doing so he referred to himself 75 times during the speech....
(Excerpt) Read more at: The American Spectator
21 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: