Stanley Kramer’s Widow On ‘Loving’ Then And Now

Deadline | 1/10/2017 | Karen Kramer
Click For Photo: https://cfmedia.deadline.com/2016/11/unspecified-42.jpeg?w=605

Editors note: Karen Kramer, the widow of filmmaker Stanley Kramer, wrote this as Focus Features’ Loving was chosen to receive the Producers Guild’s Stanley Kramer Award in recognition of a film that raises public awareness of important social issues. The movie chronicles the real-life story of Richard and Mildred Loving, whose 1967 Supreme Court victory was a landmark case invalidating laws prohibiting interracial marriage.

In the two months since a divisive election, we’ve read a lot – too much – about a frightening spike in hate crimes. It’s a fraught time in the U.S. right now, and in times of discord, we as filmmakers can counter these messages of hate and impulses of fear. Artists can play a special role in the world during these times – often our storytelling provides a gateway to healing, and to compassion, and can serve as a reminder of what we all share in common.

'50s - '60s - Steps - Backwards - Instances

As far as we may all think we’ve come since the ’50s and ’60s, we’ve taken some steps backwards. It is alarming. We’ve all seen the ugly instances of violent acts of intolerance dominating the news cycle and posted on social media.

Each year the Producers Guild of America’s Stanley Kramer Award is given to a feature film that illuminates and raises public awareness of important social issues. That is what my late husband, Stanley Kramer, strove to do in the dozens of films that he produced and directed in his lifetime.

Film - Loving - Award - Film - Honesty

When I saw the film Loving, I knew that it was deserving of this award. The film was written with a poetic honesty, and directed with grace and sensitivity by Jeff Nichols. All of this is anchored by incredible performances from actors Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga who play Richard and Mildred Loving – a married couple who were arrested and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: