Researchers concerned about young people's responsibility for their work ability

phys.org | 1/10/2017 | Staff
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2017/researchersc.png

Young people in working life see themselves as solo players responsible for maintaining their own work ability. They regard themselves as holding the ball when the job requires new knowledge and motivation, according to research from the Sahlgrenska Academy.

"It is really serious when young people feel that they must assume responsibility for their own work ability. The employer, of course, has a large responsibility for creating good conditions in working life and one should not expect young people to assume such a large responsibility," says Maria Boström, ergonomist/qualified physiotherapist and doctoral researcher in Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

Research - Adults - Years - Act - Relation

She has previously been noted for her research into how young adults (21-25 years) act in relation to working life and work ability. To have control over the job, receive support and not have their private lives affected negatively have been shown to be capable of improving work ability.

In one of her studies 24 persons aged 25-30 years were interviewed in depth about their perception of their own work ability, what it meant to have work ability and what was it that made it fluctuate over time.

One - Life - One - Knowledge - Everything

"They perceived that it is up to them. I'm the one who has to experience working life as being meaningful and I'm the one who has to possess knowledge and then be able to solve everything myself. I believe it is unfortunate that they perceive things in that way," says Maria Boström.

Half...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
9 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!