Are you the “mole” that God “whacks” over the head?

Rick Thomas | 1/10/2017 | Kim Wine
entengo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://rickthomas.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/RMlogoAreyouthemolethatGodwhacksoverthehead.jpg

Fearing God the wrong way can make you feel like a whack-a-mole an arcade game, and you’re the mole. Resting in Christ’s works rather than your own is a challenging process to learn. It was definitely that way for me.

I have two sons who love to go to the arcade. I don’t enjoy video games that much, but there are two attractions that draw me to the arcade. They are skeeball and “Whack-a-mole.”

Salvation - Christ - Years - Believer - View

Before I came to salvation in Christ and during my early years as a believer, I had a view of God’s character that was very much like my favored arcade game. I pictured myself in a giant “whack-a-mole” game with God.

I call it “whack-a-mole” theology. I developed the view of God that He sat on His high, lofty throne in the sky waiting for me to “mess up” so He could “whack” me over the head (punish me).

Fear - God - Him - Difference - Perspectives

Instead of having a healthy fear of God, I was afraid of Him. There is a big difference between the two perspectives. Consistent, in-depth Bible study was the key to correcting my understanding of God’s character. As I studied, I found several blind spots in my theology.

I wasn’t serving God from a place of rest in the finished work of Christ on the cross. On the contrary, I was still trying to earn my salvation. No longer does any further work need to be done to offer salvation to me or any other sinner. And because of His satisfactory atonement, the blood of Christ cleanses our conscience from dead works to serve the living God (Hebrews 9:14).

Conscience - Work - Christ - Christ - Hebrews

My conscience is clear because of the finished work of Christ. Christ died once for all (Hebrews 9:12, 28). More than anything else, I needed to learn how to “rest from [my] works as God...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Rick Thomas
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: